River Café Photo: Chris Amat @christopheramat
Farm to table - what was once a dining trend has become a food movement. Many Alberta chefs walk the talk using Alberta-centric ingredients to create uniquely wonderful cuisine.
- The farm dictates the menu for Chef Blair Lebsack at Rge Rd, where the desire to connect with the culinary landscape has led to a series of popular long table dinners at Edmonton area farms.
- Menus change often at Solstice Seasonal Cuisine, but Chef Jan Trittenbach always creates fine food that reflects the changing seasons.
- Chef Jason Oliver knows his producers personally at the new Farm to Fork Eatery just outside the capital in Sherwood Park.
- Ten Foot Henry was a cartoon character with a long history in Calgary. Now it’s the name of a new veggie-forward restaurant that is all about fresh ingredients.
- Chef Darren McLean’s new restaurant, Shokunin, specializes in Japanese Yakitori cooked over real binchotan using fresh local produce.
- Restaurateur Sal Howell has been a pioneer in the local, sustainable movement with her restaurants, River Café and the newly opened Deane House, a restaurant in a historic home at Fort Calgary.