River Café Photo: Chris Amat @christopheramat
Farm to table - what was once a dining trend has become a food movement. Many Alberta chefs walk the talk using Alberta-centric ingredients to create uniquely wonderful cuisine.
- The farm dictates the menu for Chef Blair Lebsack at Rge Rd, where the desire to connect with the culinary landscape has led to a series of popular long table dinners at Edmonton area farms.
- Menus change often at Solstice Seasonal Cuisine, but Chef Jan Trittenbach always creates fine food that reflects the changing seasons.
- Chef Jason Oliver knows his producers personally at the new Farm to Fork Eatery just outside the capital in Sherwood Park.
- Ten Foot Henry was a cartoon character with a long history in Calgary. Now it’s the name of a new veggie-forward restaurant that is all about fresh ingredients.
- Chef Darren McLean’s new restaurant, Shokunin, specializes in Japanese Yakitori cooked over real binchotan using fresh local produce.
- Restaurateur Sal Howell has been a pioneer in the local, sustainable movement with her restaurants, River Café and Boxwood Café and this summer she is scouring history books to create historically accurate menu items for Deane House, a restaurant in a historic home at Fort Calgary.