Alberta’s gaining major cred as a music destination. Tune into one of our many eclectic festivals:
- Tickets get snapped up within hours for Edmonton Folk Music Festival. Held the second weekend of August in Gallagher Park overlooking the city’s lush river valley, folks have been known to buy homes in the charming community of Cloverdale to guarantee access to this four-day event.
- Toddlers, suits, hipsters: all walks of life converge on Prince’s Island Park during Calgary Folk Fest from July 27 to 30.
- More than 250 bands and artists converge during Sled Island, a June 21-25 creative extravaganza for lovers of indie lifestyle.
- Taking place July 21-23, Interstellar Rodeo is an epic music fest that brings daring talent from all genres to the stage, which in this case, is the stunning Heritage Amphitheatre in Edmonton’s Hawrelak Park.
- Looking for something more intimate? Music plays until dawn during the solstice celebration at North Country Fair near Slave Lake in northern Alberta. Meanwhile the Magnificent River Rats Festival occurs on the banks of the Alberta’s longest river, the Athabasca.
- Jazz lovers get into the groove during the TD Edmonton International Jazz Festival June 23 to July 2.
- For something less traditional, consider the Medicine Hat Jazz Fest. From coffee shop concerts to a grand concert hall to a rooftop parking lot party, you’d be hard pressed to find world-renowned musicians performing in a more culturally aware rural community.
- The hills (OK, the Rockies) come alive with the sound of Hedley and Walk off the Earth in Banff National Park. Both hit the stage at Cascade Gardens during Performance in the Park June 9 to 10.