Streetfest: 30 Years of Putting a Smile on the Face of Edmonton
by Edmonton International Street Performers Festival
The Edmonton International Street Performers Festival is celebrating 30 years of putting a smile on the face of Edmonton! Festival performances are set to spread smiles all over Sir Winston Churchill Square from July 4–13, 2014. The Festival features over 1500 outdoor performances from an international cast of dynamic street artists, and promises to inspire and amaze audiences with a lineup of over 40 professional performers including rovers, dancers, comedy characters, musicians, magicians, jugglers and more! For more information visit www.edmontonstreetfest.com or call 780-425-5162.
From returning festival favourites to brand new acts, patrons will explore a variety of entertainment that is sure to keep everyone grinning from ear to ear.
New to the Square!
- A multiple Guinness World Record Holder, extreme acrobat and stuntman, Pogo Fred jumps over seven feet into the air while performing flips, outstanding tricks, and stunts on his 10-foot tall pogo stick.
- The Red Trouser Duo combines the precision of acrobatics with high-skill knife and fire juggling. Without a single dull moment, their non-stop action will have you laughing while your heart is pounding with excitement.
- Hailing all the way from Australia, Katie Wright is an actor and circus/physical theatre performer extraordinaire. She was introduced to the world of circus and theatre from the age of six and has been flying high ever since.
- The Kif Kif Sisters are a charming cocktail of funny theatre, puppetry, circus, magic and typically French craziness. With their freakish acrobatics, the twins twist and intermingle themselves until the audience is completely confused.
- The Dead Stringers are an Edmonton based acoustic power trio of upright bass, fiddle and guitar, playing a fusion of gypsy jazz, western swing, old country, blues and some wacky originals. This band is fun personified!
It's late, it's mad...and it's JUST PLAIN NAUGHTY! Late Night Madness runs at the Stanley A. Milner Library Theatre, July 11 and 12 at 11:11pm. Directed by Trevor Schmidt with musical direction by Darrin Hagen, Late Night Madness shows are zany, one-of-a-kind cabaret performances that have become a favourite of ‘mature’ StreetFest patrons. Bringing the street to the stage, each show features a different cast of outrageous characters pushing the envelope and the limits of laughter. Tickets are available for $23 at the door; advance tickets are available for $20 on-site at our Information Station, through our office at 780-425-5162, or through yeglive.ca.
- Aytahn Ross has been seen live by over a million people around the world. This comic gentleman, vaudevillian and circus artist (and new Edmontonian!) will teach artsy-fartsy circus skills at the Be Your Own Busker workshops. Also don't miss one of his feature shows as The Great Balanzo.
- Part charlatan, part super-villain and full time furniture enthusiast, Chairman Jim returns to StreetFest with a slingshot full of fun for all ages.
- Dana Smith has been entertaining the world since 1974. Dana blends diverse elements such as Chinese rhythm stick, ball spinning, diabolo, hand-balancing, rollo-bollo, hat tricks, ukulele and other eccentric, unique amusements to create a show you won’t soon forget.
- Strolling with one of his many accordions in tow, Darrin Hagen loves serenading people having lunch on the Square. Tangos, waltzes and snippets of world music flow out of him like gossip.
- Combining stunning acrobatics, striking visual effects, physical and inventive choreography, Galumpha brings to life a world of imagination, beauty, muscle and merriment.
- Local artist Jason Kodie returns as the Mellifluous Mr. Bombo on his roving piano. Be on the lookout for his mobile melody maker cycling about and producing the delightful and exquisite sounds from then and now.
- Jan Streader has been enchanting people for decades. Catch her roving the Square as one of her many personas, including ZuZu the Clown, Mrs. Collywobbles, Antoinette the Fairy Godmother and more.
- Veteran street performer Linda Karenko has created many wacky and memorable characters over the years including Sheriff Winnie Dean the Wiener Queen, Detective Sergeant Terri Burke and Madame de la Loon.
- Have you ever seen someone float in mid-air, or water stop in mid-stream? Magical Mystical Michael will make it happen right before your very eyes!
- Check out The National Stiltwalkers of Canada as they rove the Square…or learn the ‘higher skills’ at the Be Your Own Busker workshops.
- All the way from Mexico, Pancho Libre has amazed, generated smiles and warmed the hearts of thousands around the world. Pancho’s highly energetic, skilled acrobatic show will have you hooked with impossible feats of strength and danger.
- The Privy People are a comedy troupe dedicated to making every portable bathroom experience happy as well as clean. Enjoy themed toilets, a variety of bathroom tissues, reading materials and more.
- For the past two decades Rob Torres has masterfully blended his formal training in theatre, circus arts, and pantomime together to create amusing and memorable acts.
- Ron Pearson is an amazing professional magician and Edmonton resident. Having represented Canada as a performer at many international events, he is proud to be premiering a brand new show this year.
- Rhythm Speaks is a dance crew that destroys boundaries and stereotypes. The crew fuses traditional pow-wow dance moves with b-boying/b-girling, sharing peace, love unity and fun in the process.
- Silver Elvis will once again be spotted at StreetFest- and he’s cash activated! Give him a toonie and he’ll say “thank you-thank you very much”
- It’s a fish! It’s an alien! It’s a well-meaning but slightly nosey pair of 50’s housewives! The adventure begins deep underwater with Something Fishy, and ends far in the stars with The Cosmonettes of Zarath! Get ready for close encounters of the third, fourth and fifth kind!
- The Puppet Guy Lee Zimmerman is the host and creator of the most amazing and unique marionette show: HOLLYWOODSTOCK. He combines his love of pop culture and his distaste for ordinary puppets into a miniature Rock and Roll Revue complete with tiny guitars, amps, drums and the biggest names in the history of music.
- Keep an eye out for our Festival staples. We welcome back our balloon artists Dan the Balloon Man and Stephen Dubetz aka Pretzel; our face painters Cindy, Lady Dolphin, Miyako, P’Wan and caricaturist Simon Glassman.
Troupe du Jour shows offer audiences the best of the fest with nightly performances at 10pm in the Square. Showcasing a different cast of performers each night, the hour-long variety shows are suitable for the whole family and honour the pass-the-hat tradition. (Special thanks to Global Television for their sponsorship and to Maclab Enterprises for their generous matching of all Troupe donations up to $5000.)
Located on the north east corner of Churchill Square, Kids’ World offers non-ticketed, accessible performances, activities, and interactive playtime catered specifically to our little patrons. Harvey Anderson is returning as the director and designer of Kids’ World for the 30th Anniversary edition of the Festival. Andrea House is delighted to be back at StreetFest bringing us Hugo The Scaredy Cat Caterpillar and Won Israel, aka Cap’n Arrr, will be teaching kids how to walk and talk like a pirate.
Festival patrons are invited to the Big Tent to try out the Be Your Own Busker workshops which take place daily from 11:30am to 5:30pm (July 13: 11:30am to 2:30pm). From juggling to dance to stilt walking…learn from the best on the street including b’boy/b’girl dance troupe Rhythm Speaks, jugglers Aytahn Ross, James O’Shea (aka Chairman Jim) and Leah James, and The National Stiltwalkers of Canada. Be on the lookout also for Phileas Flash (aka Rupert Appleyard), who will be crafting a balloon sculpture in the big tent - in honour of the 30th Anniversary - over the course of the Festival.
StreetFest is once again proud to present Comedy Cares, an award-winning outreach initiative delivering healing smiles and chuckles to hospitals and care facilities – including the Stollery and Glenrose - in the Edmonton area.
StreetFest Info: 780.425.5162 or www.edmontonstreetfest.com
For more information please contact:
Bottom Line Productions
Phone: 780-988-8914, ext 1
Campaign Images & Logos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mqlvs6h6te2xtbf/AACQBClUscbLBPOSaganRRJXa