UNDER WINTERS’S SPELL
Join members of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada on the rooftop observation deck at Banff Gondola
to gaze at the galaxies in the crisp mountain air. Warm up afterward with an aroma hot stone massage at The Rimrock Resort.
Canmore is cool any time of year, but it’s especially so when taking a twirl around The Pond
, a natural ice surface steps away from Main Street. This inviting alpine town helps visitors stay toasty (and limber!) at Hot Yoga Canmore
. Spice things up with a winter wine or coconut cream après ski cocktail at Crazyweed Kitchen
It takes an hour to heat up the traditional wood fired sauna at Mount Engadine Lodge
, but after hitting their powder packed Nordic ski trails deep in the heart of Kananaskis Country, you’ll won’t mind the wait (especially if you use the time to tuck into their famed afternoon tea).
WARM UP AFTER FRESH AIR ADVENTURES
WEE WINTER WARRIORS
- With their exclusive arrangement with Lake Louise Ski Resort, Yamnuska Mountain Adventures offers skiers and snowboarders access to terrain outside the ski boundary. During side-country skiing, powder hounds use the lifts to access hidden stashes of backcountry bliss. Soak weary muscles while living it up Hot Tub Time Machine style at these luxe pools in the Rockies.The expansive roof-top hot tub at Deer Lodge fits more people than you ever thought possible.
- Banff’s newest hotel property, The Moose Hotel & Suites has two large roof-top hot tubs with views of Tunnel and Cascade mountains as well as a seating area and fire pits.
- The Fox recreates the original Cave and Basin hot springs with their grotto-like pools.
- Tranquil waterfalls and a traditional European mineral bath beckon visitors to the Fairmont Banff Springs Willow Stream Spa.
- Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge sports a large outdoor heated swimming pool overlooking tranquil Lac Beauvert.
Eyes are all aglow when stepping into the Ice Castle
at Edmonton’s Hawrelak Park. One of only four of its kind in the world, you’ll feel like you’ve been transported into a magical ice kingdom while meandering through this crystalline maze. Afterward, jaunt over to West Edmonton Mall’s World Waterpark
, where it’s a balmy 31°C (88°F) all year round. This palm tree clad paradise boasts a wave pool, plus 17 water slides.
Sledding is taken to a whole new level at Calgary’s Winsport
. Kids over the age of eight can barrel down the Luge Track, reaching speeds up to 60 km/hr (37 mi/hr) within the 40-second ride. Though YYC Hot Chocolate Fest
doesn’t begin until February, you can sip a comforting mug of the city’s best cocoa any time of year!
APPETITE FOR ADVENTURE
What tops a snowshoe tour through the snowcapped peaks of the Canadian Rockies? An après fondue, of course! At Sunshine Village
, alfresco adventurers spear cubes of bread into a bubbly cheese fondue by the wood burning fireplace. Participants on Kananaskis Outfitters'
Snowshoe Stargazing Tour savour a hot drink in a silent mountain meadow before returning to Kananaskis Village for chocolate fondue. Meanwhile, on December 25, December 31 and February 14, visitors to Lake Louise Ski Resort
can wrap up their day with a Torchlight Dinner,
parading down the slopes at dusk, before tucking into a smorgasbord of food and entertainment.