Getting Around

Alberta is a large province with a varied landscape. Here are our suggestions for the best ways to explore it.
Driving is the most popular and practical way to travel around Alberta. All major car rental agencies in Alberta have outlets at the Calgary and Edmonton International Airports as well as numerous urban and rural locations. Camper vans and RVs are another great way to experience the province. Visit the Alberta Motor Association for more information. 

Driving Documents
Driver's licences from all countries are valid in the province for up to three months. An International Driving Permit, available in home countires, is valid in Alberta for one year. If entering the province in a personal vehicle, bring vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from the insurance agent, or policy itself. If driving a rental car, bring a copy of the rental contract. 

Speed Limits
Highways have a speed limit of 100km/h (62 mph). Most other rural highways and country roads have a speed limit of 80 km/h (50mph). Motorists passing stopped emergency vehicles or tow trucks must drive at 60km/h, or at posted speed limit, whichever is slower. 

Special tours and transportation are available throughout Alberta including the Rockies. Leave the driving to any of these providers:   



You must be logged in to view this item.


This area is reserved for members of the news media. If you qualify, please update your user profile and check the box marked "Check here to register as an accredited member of the news media". Please include any notes in the "Supporting information for media credentials" box. We will notify you of your status via e-mail in one business day.